How long is the police academy and what are the hours?
The police academy is 7 ½ months long and recruits train Monday through Friday from 8 AM to 5 PM.
Are there automatic disqualifiers?
The only automatic disqualifiers we have are felonies. All other offenses will be investigated and handled on a case-by-case base.
Is there an age limit?
Yes, applicants must be at least 21 years of age on the first day of the academy and no older than 39 years of age on the first day.
How long is the hiring process?
The hiring process can take between 4 – 6 months.
If I’m already OPOTA certified, do I need to go through your academy?
Yes, even though you have completed an academy we require you to complete our academy in order to be hired. In the event we do lateral hiring you would only need to complete our abbreviated academy instead.
- Must be 21 years of age and under the age of 40 at the time of appointment to the City of Cleveland Police Training Academy.
- High School Diploma or GED
- Must be a U.S. citizen
- Valid Ohio driver’s license (less than 6 points)
Step by Step Recruitment Process
- Complete the City of Cleveland online application
- Complete a City of Cleveland Civil Service Written examination
- Take a Physical Agility Test (Test is taken twice, beginning and end of process)
- Complete Personal History questionnaires
- PHS Review & interview, photographed and fingerprinted
- Complete waivers authorizing extensive background investigations
- Comprehensive Background Check (resident, employment, social media, traffic, etc.)
- Behavioral Based Interview (BBI)
- Selection Process conducted by The Director of Public Safety & Chief of Police
- Pass a medical examination
- Undergo a psychological/psychiatric evaluation, including taking the Psychological Dimensions assessment.
- Police Academy training.