Cleveland 311

Coming Soon!

For additional information, you may contact the City of Cleveland Citizen Support Specialists at 3-1-1 or 216-664-2000. If you are experiencing an emergency, please contact 9-1-1.

About 311

From reporting a pothole to requesting trash pickup, we are here to help you. With a new, enhanced online experience, we make it easy for you to report a complaint or submit a service request.

While we work on the new online complaints process, you can speak with a knowledgeable Citizen Support Specialist 24/7 by calling 311 today.

Please call 911 in case of emergency.


311 is an easy-to-remember telephone number that connects you with highly-trained Citizen Support Specialists who are ready to help you with requests for non-emergency City services and information.

311 is the number to call to for information about the City of Cleveland’s programs and services and submit a service request. 911 is the number to call in case of emergency.

For emergency issues regarding Cleveland public utilities, please contact the Department of Public Utilities directly:

  • For water emergencies, call 216-664-3060, 24 hours.
  • For electric emergencies, call 216-664-3156, 24 hours.
  • For sewer emergencies, call 216-664-2513, 24 hours.