Cleveland was founded in 1796, the result of a Connecticut Land Company survey of a 3.3-million-acres on the shores of Lake Erie that it would originally call, “The Western Reserve.”
Named after General Moses Cleaveland, the City of Cleveland was incorporated in 1836.
Aided by its proximity to rail and water routes and natural resources like iron and oil, the City of Cleveland served as a central hub for industrial growth, commerce, and trade throughout the 19th and 20th centuries.
The City of Cleveland grew and benefited from this strong economy throughout the early 20th century, peaking as the sixth largest city in the United States with a population of just under one million residents.
Major reinvestment happening across Cleveland has uniquely positioned the City to thrive in the new era of the “Mid-Size” metropolis.