Division of Police


Frequently Asked Questions

Contact the Cuyahoga County Jail booking desk at (216) 698-4820.

If a child is found in violation of curfew, minor misdemeanor citations are issued to the child’s parents.

Children must not be on the streets on school days between 10:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. There are exceptions for early dismissal, alternative schools, and working students. In those cases, the student must have either a pass or ID  for the alternate school and/or proof of working hours.

Curfew times:
Age 12 -- Dark
Ages 13, 14 – 9:30 p.m.
Ages 15, 16 – 11:00 p.m.
Ages 16, 17 – 12:00 a.m. 

Persons should contact their local police station and ask for the Commander’s Office or the Vice Unit. It is not necessary to provide a name or phone number.

As much information as possible should be made available, including the address, time/day of most activity, and where they make transactions (side door, alley, etc.). If there is a crime in progress,  call or text 9-1-1.

Criminal records can be obtained from the Division of Police Records File Section, located on the third (3rd) floor of 1300 Ontario St, Monday, Wednesday or Friday between 8:00 a.m. and. 3:30 p.m. Necessary information includes the person’s complete name, social security number, and date of birth. The criminal records check will list all felony and misdemeanor arrests. The cost is five (5) cents per copy.

Yes. The Division's Auxiliary Police program accepts volunteers. In this program, trained unarmed auxiliary officers volunteer a minimum of 15 hours per month patrolling, assisting at special events and crime fairs, and working to improve the quality of life in the City’s neighborhoods. For more information, contact the Bureau of Community Policing at (216) 623-5080.

First, the victim should file a police report to receive a report number that must be provided to the city Prosecutor’s Office. The prosecutor will then determine if charges can be filed. The Prosecutor’s Office is located on the eighth (8th) floor of the Justice Center at 1200 Ontario Street, Cleveland, Ohio.

There are several education programs for children and youth. For complete information, call the Bureau of Community Policing at 216.623.5080 or visit the youth safety education page.

The Division of Police has a crime mapping tool. To use, click or tap this link.

Call 9-1-1 in an emergency. Non-emergency issues can be reported by calling (216) 621-1234.

Complete these steps:

  • Pass a written exam, physical agility test, and drug screening
  • Undergo background, psychological, and medical evaluations
  • If selected,  complete intensive training lasting 26 weeks, during which a grade of 70% or higher must be maintained

For more information, call (216) 623-3327 or (216) 623-5135 and visit the safety careers page.

A limited number of internships are offered per year. Call (216) 623-3327 for more information.

Contact the Cleveland Police Impound Unit at (216) 623-5079.  Valid documentation and payment is required to release impounded vehicles. 

Apply for a permit with the Bureau of Traffic (phone: (216) 623-5188, fax: (216) 623-5190 located at 2001 Payne Avenue. A representative will contact applicants to arrange pick-up of the application after  approval and will provide  instructions for completing  the permit process, which includes coordinating with the Special Events Office, the Safety Director’s Office, and a fee of $10.00.

Contact your local police station or call (216) 621-1234. Please provide: the address the vehicle is parked in front of, along with  the make, model, and color of the vehicle.

Contact your local police station or call (216) 621-1234.

Currently, the Division of Police does not offer this service, but may be available through a private agency or suburban police department.

Yes. The law defines loud music as "plainly audible to persons other than those who are in the room in which such device or instrument is played (683.01)”; or “plainly audible to persons other than the occupants of said vehicle (683.02).” Police may warn or cite offenders and confiscate the equipment or source of loud music.

No, as long as the accident occurred in the city of Cleveland, individuals can go to any Cleveland police station to file a report.

Call (216) 621-1234 or go to any Cleveland police station.

Accident reports are available online here or in-person on the third (3rd) Floor of the Justice Center located at 1300 Ontario St in Cleveland on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Copies are five (5) cents per page.

Call the Clerk of Courts office at (216) 664-4790 or go to the third (3rd) floor of the Justice Center located at 1300 Ontario St in Cleveland.

Call the Clerk of Courts office at (216) 664-4790, or go to the Police Warrant and Suspect Unit located inside the Justice Center at 1300 Ontario St in Cleveland with a valid government-issued ID.