Department of Building & Housing


Exterior Wall and Appurtenances Inspections

The City of Cleveland Codified Ordinance 3143.02 requires the owners of buildings taller than five (5) stories and 75 feet to have the building's facades and exterior walls inspected by a qualified inspector* every five (5) years. This applies to all buildings 30 years old and older.

The inspection results must be submitted on the Summary Inspection Report of Exterior Walls and Appurtenances form.

*"Qualified inspector" means either a design professional certified in inspection of the specific elements that make up the facade of the structure who is licensed by the State of Ohio, or a special inspector or inspection agency accredited and experienced in the specific type of structure being inspected, and qualified under the Ohio Building Code for special inspectors.

Contractor Registration


Contractor Registration Package


  • CRA - Contractor Registration Application
  • GCI – General Contractor instructions
  • GCB - General Contractor Bond
  • IEF – Insurance Endorsement Form


HVAC Contractor Registration Package


  • HCI – HVAC Contractor Instructions
  • HVB – HVAC Contractor Bond
  • CRA - Contractor Registration Application
  • IEF – Insurance Endorsement Form


Demolition Contractor Registration Package


  • DCB - Demolition Contractor’s Bond
  • GCI – General Contractor instructions
  • CRA - Contractor Registration Application
  • IEF – Insurance Endorsement Form


Plumbing Contractor Registration Package


  • PCI – Plumbing Contractor Instructions
  • PCB – Plumbing Contractor Bond
  • CRA - Contractor Registration Application
  • IEF – Insurance Endorsement Form


Electrical Contractor Registration Package


  • ECI – Electrical Contractor Instructions
  • ECB – Electrical Contractor Bond
  • CRA - Contractor Registration Application
  • IEF – Insurance Endorsement Form


Sewer Builder Contractor Registration Package


  • SWB - Sewer Builders Bond
  • GCI – General Contractor instructions
  • CRA - Contractor Registration Application
  • IEF – Insurance Endorsement Form


Special Events Permits

This guide consists of requirements for change of use and the erection or construction of temporary structures. Permits for change of use only do not require a registered contractor. The erection, installation, or alteration of structures, systems, tents, stages, portable power, etc., will require a registered contractor.

If the venue being used is currently an assembly use, catering center, banquet hall, or other established use, there will be no additional permits required from the Department of Building and Housing, providing:

  • No increase or change in occupant load
  • No portable or additional power requirements
  • No physical modifications are required
  • The event is confined to the established footprint

When a structure is planned to be used as an assembly venue and it is not currently established as such, a temporary change of use is required. This includes: warehouses, large lobbies, garages, hangars, office spaces, vacant buildings, and other such spaces. Because of the elevated dangers involved with being inside a structure, these uses will require a full Building Code review. 

The requirements for review are the same as for a construction review. Full site and floor plans are required, showing, but not limited to: dimensions, restroom facilities, egress paths, fire protection, construction type, current and proposed occupancy classifications, and fire separations.

Outdoor venues that are not in the right-of-way fall into two (2) categories: parks and parking lots/vacant lots. Depending upon the category and configuration, a temporary use permit may be required. If needed, use plans will be reviewed for:

  • Occupant load
  • Restroom facilities
  • Number of exits and egress
  • Fire Department access

Private and public parks are currently considered “open use” in that they are established for the free movement of people for the enjoyment of the park. They can be used without an additional use permit as long as they are maintained as open use. A use permit from the Department of Building and Housing is required if:

  • A portion or all of the park becomes enclosed with fencing, bike rail, or other access control system
  • Stages, tents, portable toilets, office trailers, and other elements are so configured as to change the primary function of the park

This will include Gateway Plaza and other private plazas and parks. Tents, stages, and other structures are covered later in the section.

The use of parking lots and vacant land for Assembly Events, Festivals, Rallies, or similar uses will require a temporary use permit.

Temporary Tent Permit Guide

The use of streets and the public right of way is governed by MOCAP and not the Department of Building and Housing. MOCAP will review and issue the Use Permit after it is submitted to the Division of Assessments and Licenses. However, tents, stages, office trailers, and portable power generators will require permits as outlined below.

All tents of more than 120 square feet require a permit from the Department of Building and Housing. The submission must include:

  • Site plan showing the location of the tent
  • Size, shape, and manufacturer instructions
  • Flame spread certificate
  • Specific anchoring details (Be aware of special requirements for the Malls and Plazas)

Stages will require submission for a building permit. The submission must include: a site plan, floor plan, and engineered drawings of the erection details, including light canopies, towers, and platforms. Trailer stages will require a permit if they meet any of the following requirements:

  • When erected, the footprint is increased
  • When erected, the total height is increased
  • The trailer is not licensed with the BMV

Office trailers that are temporarily installed will require a building permit for installation that includes:

  • Site plan showing the location of the trailer
  • Size, shape, and manufacturer instructions
  • Specific anchoring details (Note: there are special requirements for Malls and Plazas)
  • Details of any decks, landings, and stair systems built on site

All electrical installations require an additional electrical permit. This must be pulled by a licensed electrical contractor registered with the Department of Building and Housing. This includes temporary power poles, branch circuits, distribution panels, sub- panels, and hard-wired lighting. Installations that are exempt from permit requirements include:

  • Low-voltage cabling for data and video
  • Generator trailers that are self-grounded
  • Lighting cables that are Sur-Lok or quick-connect fittings and chords as opposed to hard-wired connections