Division of Construction Permitting

This division registers contractors, plans examinations, and issues permits. It ensures that contractors meet construction standards in residential, commercial, and industrial building repairs and alterations. Contractors and homeowners are encouraged to utilize the permit guide to determine the paperwork needed for projects. Applications can be downloaded from the permit guide page and submitted with payment to City Hall, 601 Lakeside Avenue, Room 505, 44114. In addition, this division issues permits for change of use and the erection or construction of temporary structures for events.

Registration of Contractors Chapter 3107

Contractor Registration Package 
  • CRA - Contractor Registration Application
  • GCI – General Contractor instructions
  • GCB - General Contractor Bond
  • IEF – Insurance Endorsement Form
HVAC Contractor Registration Package 
  • HCI – HVAC Contractor Instructions
  • HVB – HVAC Contractor Bond
  • CRA - Contractor Registration Application
  • IEF – Insurance Endorsement Form
Demolition Contractor Registration Package
  • DCB - Demolition Contractor’s Bond
  • GCI – General Contractor instructions
  • CRA - Contractor Registration Application
  • IEF – Insurance Endorsement Form
Plumbing Contractor Registration Package  
  • PCI – Plumbing Contractor Instructions
  • PCB – Plumbing Contractor Bond
  • CRA - Contractor Registration Application
  • IEF – Insurance Endorsement Form
Electrical Contractor Registration Package 
  • ECI – Electrical Contractor Instructions
  • ECB – Electrical Contractor Bond
  • CRA - Contractor Registration Application
  • IEF – Insurance Endorsement Form
Sewer Builder Contractor Registration Package 
  • SWB - Sewer Builders Bond
  • GCI – General Contractor instructions
  • CRA - Contractor Registration Application
  • IEF – Insurance Endorsement Form

    Skilled Trade Permits and Applications

    EPA & EPF - Electrical Permit and Fee Schedule
    PPA & PPF - Plumbing Permit and Fee Schedule
    HPA & HPF - HVAC Permit and Fee Schedule 

    Special Events Permitting

    This guide consists of requirements for change of use and the erection or construction of temporary structures. Permits for change of use only do not require a registered contractor. The erection, installation or alteration of structures, systems, tents, stages, portable power, etc., will require a registered contractor.


    If the venue being used is currently an assembly use, catering center, banquet hall or other established use, there will be no additional permits required from Building and Housing, providing:

    • No increase or change in occupant load
    • No portable or additional power requirements
    • No physical modifications are required
    • The event is confined to the established footprint


    When a structure is planned to be used as an assembly venue and it is not currently established as such, a temporary change of use is required. This would include: warehouses, large lobbies, garages, hangars, office spaces, vacant buildings, and other such spaces. Because of the elevated dangers involved with being inside a structure, these uses will require a full Building Code review. The requirements for review are the same as for a construction review. Full site and floor plans are required, showing, but not limited to: dimensions, restroom facilities, egress paths, fire protection, construction type, current and proposed occupancy classifications, and fire separations.


    Outdoor venues that are not in the right-of-way fall into two categories: parks and parking lots/vacant lots. Depending upon the category and configuration, a temporary use permit may be required. If needed, use plans will be reviewed for:

    • Occupant load
    • Restroom facilities
    • Number of exits and egress
    • Fire Department access


    Private and public parks are currently considered “open use” in that they are established for the free movement of people for the enjoyment of the park. They can be used without an additional use permit as long as they are maintained as open use. A use permit from the Department of Building and Housing is required if:

      • A portion or all of the park becomes enclosed with fencing, bike rail, or other access control system
      • Stages, tents, portable toilets, office trailers and other elements are so configured as to change the primary function of the park

    This will include Gateway Plaza and other private plazas and parks. (Tents, stages, and other structures are covered later in the section.)

    Parking Lots and Vacant Land Parking Lots

    The use of parking lots and vacant land for Assembly Events, Festivals, Rallies, or similar uses will require a temporary use permit.


    The use of streets and the public right of way is governed by MOCAP and not the Department of Building and Housing. MOCAP will review and issue the Use Permit and it is submitted to the Division of Assessments and Licenses. However, tents, stages, office trailers, and portable power generators will require permits as outlined below.


    All tents more than 120 square feet require a permit from the Department of Building and Housing. The submission must include:

      • Site plan showing the location of the tent
      • Size, shape and manufacturer instructions
      • Flame spread certificate
      • Specific anchoring details (Be aware of special requirements for the Malls and Plazas.)


    Stages will require submission for a building permit. The submission must include: a site plan, floor plan and engineered drawings of the erection details, including light canopies, towers and platforms. Trailer stages will require a permit if they meet any of the requirements below:

      • When erected, the footprint is increased
      • When erected, the total height is increased
      • The trailer is not licensed with the BMV

    Office Trailers

    Office trailers that are temporarily installed will require a building permit for installation:

      • Site plan showing the location of the trailer
      • Size, shape and manufacturer instructions
      • Specific anchoring details (Note: there are special requirements for Malls and Plazas)
      • Details of any decks, landings, and stair systems built on site

    Portable Power and Generators

    All electrical installations require an additional electrical permit. This must be pulled by a licensed electrical contractor registered with the Department of Building and Housing. This includes temporary power poles, branch circuits, distribution panels, sub panels and hard-wired lighting. Installations that are exempt from permit requirements include:

        • Low-voltage cabling for data and video
        • Generator trailers that are self-grounded
        • Lighting cables that are Sur-Lok or quick-connect fittings and chords and not hard-wired connections