Division of Correction

The Division of Correction has closed all of its jail operations, including the House of Correction and Cleveland City Jail. Inmate inquiries can be made to the Cuyahoga County Jail at 216.443.6000 or 216.443.6155. 

Division History

Originally established in 1859 on the West Side's Scranton Road, House of Correction moved to Warrensville in 1904, becoming part of the 2300 acre "Cooley Farms" (named for the Health and Welfare Institution's Director at that time), a project which included an infirmary, tuberculosis sanitarium and cemetery. There the inmates participated in several activities including fruit and vegetable farming and the operation of a dairy, cannery, blacksmith shop, sawmill, and pig farm.

The Cleveland City Jail supported the Cleveland Division of Police since the 19th century. On September 10, 2007 employees of these two sections were brought together to form the Division of Corrections.